Your bicycle is one of your most treasured possessions – and if it were damaged or stolen it could be expensive to replace. Most contents insurance policies won’t cover the full value of a quality bike, or accept claims for damage caused while you’re riding. So even if you’ve never considered insuring your bicycle before, it’s worth understanding the benefits.
More and more Australians are taking to the road on two wheels, as bike sales continue to surpass motor vehicle sales year after year.1 It’s easy to see why, with bicycles being a relatively cheap, eco-friendly and healthy way to commute and get outside on weekends.
A good bicycle can easily cost thousands. This means it’s more important than ever to ensure that your bike and your wallet are protected if something goes wrong.
What are the risks?
There are a number of risks linked to owning a bike, including:
- Theft – if your bike or parts are stolen from your home, or while you’re out and about.
- Damage – if you have a crash, or damage your bicycle while transporting it on your car, or if it’s vandalised while locked up outside.
- Loss – your bike could be destroyed by fire, or lost by an airline while in transit.
- Injury – you could be injured, or worse, from an accident on your bike.
The more expensive your bike is, the harder (and more costly) it would be to replace. But even though you can’t prevent the unexpected, you can still protect yourself against the financial cost.
What does bicycle insurance cover?
Each insurance policy is different, so when you’re comparing bike insurance quotes be sure to choose the right one for you and your type of bike. Also consider how you use, transport and store your bike, to make sure your policy suits your needs.
For example, it might be worth checking that your bicycle insurance policy:
- Covers your bike against theft or damage while it’s at home, even if you don’t have home and contents insurance.
- Covers damage caused while in transit, for example while on your car.
- Offers to replace your bike with a brand new one if you write it off in the first two years.
- Provides the option to cover your bike while overseas, if you’re planning an international bike holiday.
- Includes a benefit to help with your medical bills if you’re injured while riding, plus a payout if you die or are totally and permanently disabled as a result of a cycling accident.
Find out more
Whether you’re into mountain bikes, road bicycles, tri-bikes, fixies, or the lot, Real Insurance can help you get the right cover for your bike. And for those who like their bikes with a little more power, there are specific policies available for dirt bikes, scooters and motorbikes, so all riders can get the precise cover they need.
Getting cover is easy with Real Insurance – it only takes a few minutes to get a quick quote and apply online. Or if you want more information, contact one of Real’s bike insurance specialists on 1300 277 002.