House fires caused by insulation

A house fire last year in Victoria has been confirmed to have been caused by a dodgy insulation installation. The Country Fire Authority (CFA) have confirmed that insulation installed under the recently cancelled government rebate was to blame.

Fire authorities are now stressing that the risk of fire is greatly increased when insulation is placed directly over or near downlights, as well as other electrical devices such as exhaust and ceiling fans.

In the house fire in Victoria overnight, new batts had been placed directly over downlights, resulting in a two foot high fire. Luckily the home owner had a fire extinguisher on hand to put out the flames.

Read more about the house fire at The Herald Sun.

Share this article