Real Funeral Cover Q&A
The following questions are to be used as a reference guide only and do not substitute or replace your insurance contract, the PDS or Certificate of Insurance.
- What is Real Funeral Cover?
- I’m healthy, so why would I need this insurance?
- Isn’t cover like this expensive?
- Will my premium increase?
- Can I end up paying more in premiums than my family will receive for my funeral insurance benefit?
- Am I eligible for Real Funeral Cover?
- Is it necessary to have a medical or blood test to apply for cover?
- How long can I keep my cover?
- How much cover can I get?
- Some things you should know
- Does cover extend around the world?
- What is meant by ‘Accident’ or ‘Accidental Death’?
- Can I cover my partner too?
- Can I decide who will receive the benefit?
- Will I get anything back if I cancel my Policy?
- Are there any tax benefits?
- Who is the underwriter?
- What information will I need to get a Funeral Insurance quote?
- What is the Early Cash Payout Option?
- What if I have another question?
What is Real Funeral Cover?
Real Funeral Cover pays a benefit to the people you choose (your beneficiaries) when you die. It’s designed to help your loved ones pay for funeral costs as well as any other bills you may leave behind – so they can say goodbye without added financial stress.
Real Funeral Cover differs to other types of funeral planning, such as a pre-paid funeral plan, as it pays a full benefit upon death (Accidental Death only for the first 12 months; any cause thereafter) regardless of how much has been paid in premiums.
I’m healthy, so why would I need this insurance?
Life is unpredictable – we never know what lies around the corner. If you pass away unexpectedly, funeral insurance such as this product helps ensure your loved ones can be assisted with the cost of your funeral and any bills you leave behind.
Isn’t cover like this expensive?
Your premiums are level which means they are designed to not increase every year. Plus, when you turn 85, your cover continues (until you celebrate your 100th birthday) at no further cost to you!
Will my premium increase?
Your premiums are level which means they are designed to not increase every year, but will change if you apply to change your cover, or we change the premium rates for your Policy.
Can I end up paying more in premiums than my family will receive for my funeral insurance benefit?
It is possible that you will pay more in total premiums than the value of the cover, depending on how long you hold cover for. Also, if you choose the Early Cash Out Option, you’ll no longer be eligible to claim as this option will cancel your policy and you may receive less than you’ve paid in premiums to date.
Am I eligible for Real Funeral Cover?
If you are an Australian resident aged between 18 and 79 we guarantee to accept you for Real Funeral Cover.
Is it necessary to have a medical or blood test to apply for cover?
No, and there are no intrusive questions about your health and lifestyle.
How long can I keep my cover?
As long as you pay your premium on time and don’t cancel your policy, we will continue to renew your Real Funeral Cover policy until you turn 100 years old – even if your health or lifestyle changes.
How much cover can I get?
You can select the amount of funeral insurance that suits your needs and budget, from $3,000 up to $15,000. If your death is due to an accident, we’ll triple the benefit we pay to your loved ones. Also, after holding your policy for one year, if you’re diagnosed with a Terminal Illness, we will pay you 100% of your chosen cover amount.
With Real Funeral Cover, you’re also automatically covered for Accidental Serious Injury Insurance. This means if you suffer an accidental serious injury (as outlined in the PDS), you can receive a cash benefit, which is equal to 3 times your Real Funeral Cover Benefit Amount.
Some things you should know
- Cover is only for Accidental Death and Accidental Serious Injury in the first 12 months of your Policy. Terminal illness with diagnosis of 12 months or less to live.
- Accidental Serious Injury expires on the policy anniversary after your 75th birthday.
- There’s no refund of premiums after the cooling off period. The total amount of premiums payable over the life of the Policy has the potential to exceed the cover amount.
- If you choose the early Cash Out Option, you will no longer be eligible to claim as this option will cancel your Policy and you may receive less than you’ve paid in premiums to date.
Does cover extend around the world?
Provided you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident living in Australia and have no plans to relocate outside of Australia at the time of application, once your application is accepted you’re covered anywhere in the world 24/7 while your policy is in force. However, if you’re on a temporary work visa and cease to reside in Australia, the Policy will be cancelled.
What is meant by ‘Accident’ or ‘Accidental Death’?
An ‘Accident’ is an event that results in bodily injury where the injury is directly and solely caused by accidental, violent, external and visible means without any other contributing causes, and where the injury is not self-inflicted.
An ‘Accidental Death’ is a death that occurs as a direct result of an accident, within 90 days of the accident taking place.
Can I cover my partner too?
Yes. Real Funeral Cover has been designed to be family friendly. You can choose to cover your life (Single Plan), or cover yourself and your spouse or partner (Joint Plan).
Can I decide who will receive the benefit?
Yes, you can nominate who will receive your chosen benefit. If you do not nominate a beneficiary then your Real Funeral Cover benefit will go to the Policyowner. If that’s you, we pay the benefit to your legal personal representative (usually your Estate) or other person who we are permitted to pay under the Life Insurance Act 1995.
You can nominate up to five people to share the benefit by simply downloading and completing our Beneficiary Form. Send your completed form to:
Reply Paid 6728
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153
Will I get anything back if I cancel my Policy?
You have a 30 day cooling off period to ensure your Real Funeral Cover Policy is right for you. As long as you haven’t made a claim within the first 30 days of your Policy starting, we’ll give you a full refund of any premiums you have paid.
Because your Real Funeral Cover is not a savings or investment plan, if you or we cancel your cover after the 30 day cooling off period, cover ends and no benefit is payable and there are no premium refunds. However, if you have chosen a yearly payment option, we’ll refund the unused portion of your premium.
Are there any tax benefits?
Generally, funeral insurance (including Real Funeral Cover) premiums are not tax deductible, and you aren’t required to pay tax on any benefits we pay. However, you should be aware that this may change, and may not apply to your individual circumstances. You should seek qualified professional advice to fully understand any tax implications.
Who is the underwriter?
Real Funeral Cover is issued by:
Hannover Life Re of Australasia Ltd (Hannover)
ABN 37 062 395 484
Tower 1, Level 33
100 Barangaroo Avenue
Sydney NSW 2000
Hannover is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hannover Re and is part of the Hannover Re Group worldwide. Hannover Re is currently the third-largest global life reinsurer and has a Standard and Poor’s Insurer Financial Strength of AA- (Very Strong), and has maintained this rating for a number of years.
The life insurance business of Hannover has been operating in Australia since 1958, so you know you’re backed by a company you can trust.
What information will I need to get a Funeral Insurance quote?
Find out what information you will need to provide for a quote with our Funeral Insurance Quote Guide.
What is the Early Cash Payout Option?
With Real Funeral Cover, when you turn 85 you can to choose to;
- Cancel your policy and cash out 75% of your benefit amount, or
- Keep your policy in place at no extra cost to you. And if you pass away (or celebrate your 100th birthday) you or your family will receive a Bonus Cover of 25% added to the benefit amount1
What if I have another question?
Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call one of our Customer Service Specialists on 1300 665 287.
- If you choose the Early Cash Out Option you may receive less than you've paid in premiums to date, and, you will no longer be eligible to claim as this will cancel your Policy.