Life Insurance Code of Practice
Our promise to you
To ensure that you receive the highest standard of service when you take out life, funeral or income protection insurance, we comply with the Life Insurance Code of Practice (the Code) which was established by the Financial Service Council (FSC). The Code sets out standards in relation to the provision of products and services covered by the Code. The Real Insurance team and the insurer of our life insurance products (Hannover Life Re of Australasia Ltd), comply with the Code in all their dealings with you.
What does the Life Insurance Code of Practice cover?
The Code sets out the life insurance industry’s key commitments and obligations. It covers many aspects of your relationship with Real Insurance and Hannover, from buying insurance to making a claim, to providing options if you experience financial hardship or require additional support.
Key Code promises
- We will be honest, fair, respectful, timely and transparent (using plain language) in our communications with you.
- We will monitor sales to ensure they are completed appropriately.
- If an inappropriate sale occurs, we will discuss with you how this can be remedied.
- Additional support is available if you have difficulty with buying insurance or making a claim.
- When you make a claim, we will explain the process to you and keep you informed on the progress of your claim.
- A decision on your claim will be made within the Code timeframes, and if in exceptional circumstances we cannot meet these timeframes, you will have access to our complaints process.
- If we deny your claim, we will explain the reasons in writing and let you know the next steps if you disagree with our decision.
- We will restrict the use of investigators and surveillance, to ensure your legitimate right to privacy.
- The independent Life Code Compliance Committee will monitor our compliance with the Code.
- If we do not correct the Code breaches, sanctions can be imposed on us.
You can read or download a copy of the Code from the Financial Services Council website.