CTP Green Slip NSW Q&A

Important note:

The following questions are to be used as a reference guide only and do not substitute or replace your insurance contract, the PDS or Certificate of Insurance.

    What is CTP Insurance?

    CTP Insurance, also known as a Green Slip in NSW, is Compulsory Third Party insurance. It is mandatory to have CTP Insurance in order for you to register your car to drive in Australia.

    Return to Top

    What is the difference between CTP Insurance and a Green Slip?

    They are the same thing. In NSW, CTP insurance is often called a Green Slip because historically the paperwork was actually green!

    Return to Top

    Are there any differences between CTP insurers?

    There are only two real factors to consider when deciding which insurer to go with, price and if they offer any additional benefits or coverage.

    Return to Top

    What does my CTP Green Slip Insurance cover?

    CTP Insurance covers you for any compensation claims made by people injured in an accident involving your car. This insurance covers medical costs, rehab and other expenses relating to injuries resulting from the accident.

    Return to Top

    Who does my CTP Green Slip Insurance cover?

    CTP Green Slips covers any third-party injured or killed in an accident where you are the at-fault driver. This includes your passengers, drivers and passengers in other vehicles, and pedestrians. Your CTP Green Slip Insurance covers you – the policy owner of the registered vehicle – and others who drive your car in NSW and around Australia.

    Return to Top

    What does my CTP Green Slip Insurance not cover?

    CTP Green Slips do not cover you for damage to your vehicle, or any other vehicles or property damaged in an accident. Find out more about additional Car Insurance options.

    Return to Top

    What if I’m injured in an accident?

    If the other driver is at fault, you could be covered by that driver’s CTP insurance.
    If you are found to be at-fault and are not charged with a serious driving offence, you may also have limited cover under NSW CTP legislation. This cover can include assistance with medical expenses and loss of income.

    Visit the State Insurance Regulatory Authority website for more information.

    Return to Top

    What is the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme?

    Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LTCS) supports people severely injured (including brain injury, spinal injury or loss of limbs) in motor vehicle accidents regardless of which driver was at fault.

    Visit the State Insurance Regulatory Authority website for more information.

    Return to Top

    How do I get CTP Green Slip Insurance in NSW?

    Get a free Compulsory Third Party CTP Insurance quote here

    • Have your car registration papers handy to complete the form. The details you provide will be verified with your registration details recorded with the Roads & Maritime Services to ensure that you are paying the right premium.
    • You may also require the vehicle’s VIN or Chassis number and a valid form of identification for the driver, such as a Drivers Licence, so have these handy too.

    You can obtain a quote without these details, but you will not be able to purchase your CTP Green Slip policy without them.

    Return to Top

    Why is CTP Green Slip compulsory?

    Since 1942, the NSW government has required that all owners of vehicles registered in NSW have insurance coverage to protect people who are injured in motor vehicle accidents from ongoing medical costs, loss of income, and with severe injuries, ongoing care.

    Return to Top

    Are there any CTP Green Slip discounts?

    Yes! If you are a good driver with zero demerit points, you may be eligible for a Good Driver Discount. This discount depends on the type of vehicle, its age, your age and the age of any other drivers.

    Return to Top

    How are CTP Green Slip Insurance premiums calculated?

    There are a handful of factors that contribute to how much you will pay for CTP Insurance.

    Firstly there are the factors relating to your vehicle, its age and average claims costs. Then we will take into account factors such as your age and any demerit points you may have.

    We will also need to consider whether you have the right to claim a GST Input Tax Credit.

    All CTP Insurance costs are governed by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority. Visit their site for more information.

    Return to Top

    How long before I can register my car after buying CTP Insurance?

    Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will be notified electronically when you purchase your CTP Green Slip, but please allow one hour for this to be processed before registering your vehicle.

    Return to Top

    What happens to my CTP if my registration expires?

    Your CTP Green Slip is a condition of registration, so if your registration expires, you will no longer have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance and can be sued in the event of an accident you cause injuries or kills someone.

    Return to Top

    Can I cancel my NSW CTP Green Slip policy?

    Your CTP Green Slip policy is tied to the registration of your vehicle and stays in force until the registration term ends.

    The only way to cancel a CTP Green Slip policy is if you hand in your vehicle’s registration plates to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).

    Return to Top

    Am I entitled to a NSW CTP Green Slip refund?

    When you hand in your vehicle’s registration plates, Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will give you a “Confirmation of Cancelled Registration” letter. You must forward this letter to QBE to initiate a cancellation of your CTP Green Slip policy. A refund cheque will be issued within 30 days of receiving this letter. Please forward your RMS letter to:

    Email: ctprefunds@qbe.com
    Fax: (02) 9375 4799
    Post: GPO Box 2516, Sydney NSW 2001

    If you have recently changed your address, please make a note of it on the “Confirmation of Cancelled Registration” letter and include your initials as acknowledgement of the change. Please also keep in mind, QBE can only refund the registered operator nominated on the RMS letter.

    Return to Top

    What is the claim process?

    You should visit the SIRA website for details about making a claim.

    On the SIRA website, you can enter your details and what you know about the accident into an online tool, CTP Connect. CTP Connect will automatically send your details to the right insurer, who will then contact you.

    Or you can call SIRA CTP Assist on 1300 656 919 or email ctpassist@sira.nsw.gov.au.

    Return to Top

    Why is our CTP policy issued by QBE?

    QBE is licensed to issue CTP insurance in NSW.

    Real Insurance has entered an arrangement with QBE in which we refer customers to QBE. Your CTP policy will be issued by QBE and we receive a commission when you pay your policy premium.

    QBE is the insurer of the policy and you should direct any questions to QBE. You can contact QBE on 133 723 (Mon–Fri: 8am–8pm, Sat: 8am–1:30pm AEST) or visit qbe.com.au.

    Return to Top