The Real Insurance Sydney Harbour 10k allows participants to take in some of Sydney’s most beautiful sights with a flat, out and back course from the Rocks along Hickson Rd, granting stunning views of the Sydney Harbour, Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.
It’s also a chance to challenge yourself and take your fitness goals to the next level, so here are 10 steps to help you get the most – physically, mentally and socially – from Sydney’s most spectacular running event. For a full run-down of helpful tips you can take on the go, download our Runner’s Best Practice eGuide.
- Start fueling up. Add porridge, berries, chia seeds, broccoli, sweet potato, salmon, leek and other superfoods to your diet.
- Find a running partner to share the experience (and keep you on track).
- Get your running shoes (fitted by an expert) on and plan a training schedule.
- Suggested warm up includes a 5–10 minute walk, 5 side-to-side leg swings, forward leg swings, leg-lifts, and 4 lots of 15-second runs.
- Don’t be tempted to overtrain – start with a comfortable running distance and increase the distance by 10% each week.
- Stretch your muscles (holding the stretch for about one minute) after each run.
- Get the right amount of sleep.
- Eat breakfast 3–4 hours before the race and quench your thirst. Porridge, fruit and yoghurt and wholemeal toast with eggs are good options.1
- At the starting line, tell yourself to you can do it! There’s power in positive thinking.
- Congratulate yourself for crossing the finish line (plus warm down, grab a banana or low-fat milkshake and rehydrate).
Register now for Sydney’s flattest, fastest (and most spectacular) running event.