About CTP Green Slip NSW

Compulsory Third Party (also known as a CTP Green Slip) is an insurance policy* that must be purchased before a car owner can register their vehicle in NSW. The NSW Government introduced CTP insurance to protect both at-fault drivers against compensation claims and those who are injured as a result of a road accident.

This type of insurance ensures that you are not out of pocket for medical expenses, rehabilitation costs and more.

Unlike other states, NSW drivers can choose which insurer to purchase Compulsory Third Party Insurance from, and Real Insurance is pleased to offer NSW drivers competitive CTP Green Slip Insurance.

* CTP Insurance is issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 for whom we act as a referrer.

How CTP Works

If you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which a third party is injured, your CTP Green Slip will cover the cost of the injured party’s compensation claim against you.

This can include medical treatment, lost earnings or, in more serious cases, ongoing care, and in the event of a fatality, the victim’s family may also be entitled to compensation.

The injured third-party could be your passengers or other road users including drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.

Remember: CTP only covers you for personal injury in an accident. To cover damages to your car, other vehicles or property you will also need appropriate Car Insurance.

Competitive CTP Green Slip Insurance for NSW Drivers

Get a Quote in Minutes

What does your CTP Insurance cover?

  • Covers you for claims made against you by third-parties injured in an accident where you are the driver at fault.
  • Covers all third-parties including your passengers, drivers and passengers in other vehicles, and pedestrians.
  • Includes medical costs, rehab and other expenses for those injured in the accident.
  • Offers at-fault driver protection to the driver for essential medical and rehabilitation costs and more
  • Covers you – the policy owner of the registered vehicle – and others who drive your car.

Find out more about NSW CTP Green Slip Insurance

Find answers to commonly asked CTP Green Slip Insurance questions or you can visit the State Insurance Regulatory Authority for more information.

Getting a CTP Green Slip Quote

  • Get your CTP Green Slip before you register your car.
  • Get a quote online using your Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) registration Plate Number and Billing Number, or
  • Get a quote online using your vehicle VIN number and your NSW Driver’s Licence number.
  • You can also complete the quote form without these details, however, you will not be able to purchase a CTP policy without providing these details.
  • Only once you have purchased your CTP will you able to Register your vehicle. You may require an inspection or E-Safety check in order to do so.

If you are over 30 and a good driver with zero demerit points, you may even be eligible for a discount in your CTP Green Slip insurance premium.

Commonly Asked Questions

What is CTP Insurance?

CTP Insurance, also known as a Green Slip in NSW, is Compulsory Third Party insurance. It is mandatory to have CTP Insurance in order for you to register your car to drive in Australia.

What is the difference between CTP Insurance and a Green Slip?

They are the same thing. In NSW, CTP insurance is often called a Green Slip because historically the paperwork was actually green!

Are there any differences between CTP insurers?

There are only two real factors to consider when deciding which insurer to go with, price and if they offer any additional benefits or coverage.

What does my CTP Green Slip Insurance cover?

CTP Insurance covers you for any compensation claims made by people injured in an accident involving your car. This insurance covers medical costs, rehab and other expenses relating to injuries resulting from the accident.