Learn about CTP Greenslips in NSW

Ever wonder what compulsory third party insurance is? Or why it is a legal requirement? Find out more about compulsory third party (CTP) Greenslip insurance in NSW below.

What is CTP Insurance?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance provides compensation for people injured or killed by your car, no matter who is driving. CTP is a legal requirement in all states of Australia and you cannot register your vehicle without having a policy in place. CTP cover does not cover the damage to property.

Do you need CTP if you have comprehensive car insurance?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is a legal requirement for all car owners in Australia. While CTP covers the cost of injuries arising from an accident you’ve caused, it doesn’t cover the cost of damage to any cars involved. That’s what comprehensive and third party insurance are responsible for.

Does CTP cover personal injury?

CTP insurance covers personal injury if a third party is injured. It does not cover the damage to any motor vehicles involved in the accident. CTP also does not cover injuries sustained by you if you are the at-fault driver in an accident.

Is CTP included in comprehensive insurance?

Comprehensive insurance and CTP insurance are entirely different. CTP insurance is a legal requirement in Australia when owning a car and only covers the cost of injuries to a third party involved in an accident caused by you. Comprehensive insurance is a higher level of insurance that covers damage to property, other people’s vehicles or theft.

Is CTP the same as third party insurance?

CTP is compulsory insurance you must have in order to privately own any vehicle in Australia, whereas third party property damage insurance is optional insurance. Third party property damage insurance provides cover if you need to pay for damage your vehicle causes to another person's vehicle or property.

What does CTP insurance cover?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is mandatory for all people wishing to privately own a registered vehicle in Australia. It covers injuries to people such as pedestrians, cyclists and drivers when your vehicle is involved in an accident. CTP insurance does not cover damage to property.

Can I buy CTP insurance online?

Before you can register your vehicle in NSW you will be required to purchase a CTP green slip. If you purchase CTP insurance, you can drive the vehicle directly to the Safety Certificate Inspection station & to your roads department to register the vehicle. A CTP green slip in NSW can be done in person, by phone or online through Service NSW. For all other states, contact your local registration provider for more information.

How long does a Green Slip last?

A NSW Green Slip can generally be purchased for six or twelve months, however there are a few things to consider:

  • The period of CTP insurance must match the period of registration.
  • The six month registration option is not available if you are registering a vehicle for the first time, transferring a vehicle from interstate, transferring ownership or re-registering a vehicle after the registration has been cancelled.
  • Registration is cancelled if registration is not renewed within three months of expiry.
  • If your registration is more than three weeks overdue, the six month option will not be available.

Your Green Slip insurer will notify Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) electronically that you have purchased your CTP green slip, even if you are registering the car for the first time. You no longer need to present a hard copy Green Slip receipt.

What do Green Slips cover?

Green Slips in NSW is a generic term for compulsory third party insurance and provides payment for people killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident. This includes pedestrians, passengers, cyclists, motorcyclists and drivers of other vehicles. It is the statutory cover that is compulsory to all drivers.

Can you get a six month Green Slip?

In NSW, you can purchase a Green Slip for six or 12 months at a time. The six month registration option is not available if you are registering a vehicle for the first time and if your registration is more than three weeks overdue. If you want to renew your registration for six months, you can only do so online or over the phone.

How do you get a Green Slip?

Your CTP Green Slip in NSW will normally be sent to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) electronically. You can contact your insurer and purchase your green slip over the phone or online if they offer an online option. When renewing your Green Slip, you can do so over the phone, online or in person.

Any advice is general only and does not take into consideration your personal circumstances. Before acting on any information contained in this article you should consider if the advice is appropriate for your personal objectives, financial situation and needs.